Monday, April 4, 2011

20% of the World's Population Consumes 86% of the World's Resources

I think most of us have heard the statistic that 20% of the world's population consumes 86% of the world's resources. I was reminded of this again today while reading the Hole in our Gospel. Almost immediately a picture came to my mind. Try to picture it if you can:

Josh and I are sitting at a large table. There are 8 other people at the table sitting with us. It is not our house. We are guests at the table. The table is covered with enough food for all 10 of us to eat and be satisfied.  But as soon as the prayer is said, Josh and I snatch up most of the food off of each person's plate and pile it on our own leaving them only a tiny fraction of what they had. We proceed to eat and eat in front of these 8 people until we can't possibly eat anymore and then we throw the rest in the trash. Then the next day comes and the same events take place. Day after day we continue to take and have, believing that it is owed to us, that it belongs to us.

Obviously this is metaphorical and yet I don't think it is too far from the truth. I have to wonder how God can tolerate watching his children behave like this. Would you let your one child steal treats or even basic food from your other 4 children?

Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:24 Now I do believe this is also metaphorical, but I believe that Jesus said it for a reason. It weighs heavily on my heart. God has given us so much but I don't believe that His reason for doing so was so that we could live comfortably on earth. So why did God give us so much? What are we meant to do with it? It feels like so much responsibility. We have to get this right; it is just too important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be sent to Alysa for review prior to being posted publicly.