Sunday, May 30, 2010

Why?

Why are we adopting? I have been saving this post because it is the one I am most excited to share.

Many of you may have jumped to the conclusion that Josh and I are unable to get pregnant. I you have, don't worry it does not offend or upset me. But if you came to that conclusion, you are wrong. Well maybe you are wrong or maybe not. I say that because we don't know if we are able to get pregnant... we have never tried.

In August of 1997, I had just finished high school and was about to move out to college. I went on a 2 or 3 week short-term mission trip to Romania. The trip was to do a camp for kids. After that was over we had a little time to kill before heading back to the states. One day we stopped at an orphanage. We were only there for an hour or so. There was no lightening strike or voice from above. It was just clear in my heart that adoption was the path for me.

That following year Josh and I meet and fell in love. At some point after we had been married I asked Josh if I had forwarned him before we got married that I wanted to adopt or if I had just sprung this on him after the fact. He assured me that we had talked about it while still dating and that he was okay with never having bio kids. God had put a man in my life that was able to understand and share my passion for adoption. I believe that God speaks to our hearts and he has spoken loud and clear to my heart.

That was 13 years ago now. I have looked forward to adopting for so long now. It feels SO good to finally be moving forward.

2 comments:

  1. We have great men in our lives, don't we, Alysa!!! I love being able to have this in common with you. I talked to Micah about adoption before us getting married, as well...he was a bit apprehensive about it, but now he knows it's my heart, and he's completely okay with not having biological children. I think God helped on that one! I genuinely think it's really hard to find a guy like this, because I think most guys want biological kids. I'm so glad you and Josh are on the same wavelength and agree about adopting. I'm so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it is essential to act on what God puts on our hearts. That is not to say it will be easy but the blessings will be rich!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be sent to Alysa for review prior to being posted publicly.