Friday, July 16, 2010

Fair warning

So here is your fair warning: I suspect I am going to be an overprotective mom. And I am good with that. First time moms often are. But I am going to have more reason than most.

I have been doing a little reading about what children experience as they go through the adoption process. Can you imagine being taken away from your home and being put in an orphanage, only you don't understand what an orphanage is? And then just as you are getting used to being on your own and taking care of yourself, someone comes and takes you away to a new place and leaves you alone with two strangers?

In the past we did not spend enough time with our nieces and nephew. When we did see them they would act funny around us, shy, timid, awkward. It's natural, they didn't know us very well. (I am thankful that we have been able to spend a little more time with them lately.) Now multiply that by 100. Can you imagine having two strangers take you away from your mom and dad when you were little? How scary that would be? And no idea of what to do? Thankfully there is alot written about this subject.

There are 4 weeks left in the quarter. Soon after summer quarter ends we have our homestudy (meeting with the social worker) and we need to have our paperwork done before then. So my plan (I told you, I always have a plan) is to do lots of reading at that point. What reading I have done says that it is okay to be overprotective, that your kids need protecting. Not just physically but emotionally, mentally, and developmentally.

So you've been warned.

I hope that in the future as I find interesting articles, that I can post little bits of them here and there. I would really like our family and friends to have some idea of what to expect. It's really not the same as normal parenting at first. Actually it's alot like normal parenting, only you are trying to make up for lost time as much as possible. I would like you to know that we are not crazy. Ok, you can think I am crazy, just as long as you don't get in the way of me protecting my kids. :)

We are progressing nicely on our paperwork. And time is ticking away quickly. Soon we will have this part done and on to the exciting stuff!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be sent to Alysa for review prior to being posted publicly.