Monday, January 3, 2011

The Many Uses of Coconut Oil

Recently I came across a recipe for homemade deodorant. Now you might ask why a person would ever want to go making deodorant but the answer seems quite obvious, because you can! Besides that, it seems more natural (all the chemicals we use in life kinda freaks me out) and it could possibly save money.

How did it go, you ask? Pretty good. I like it and think it actually works better than the store bought stuff. But my skin seems irritated by its granular nature. My mom said that it didn't bother her skin so I am going to try it again in a month or so and see if I get any different results.

One of the primary ingredients is coconut oil and the jar I bought is much larger than what I needed so I have lots of leftovers. It turns out that there are lots of uses for coconut oil. There are many cooking uses but the most interesting to me is the applications for healthy hair. My mom and I made the deodorant together and during that time we read on the side of the jar that the oil was good for hair so of course we had to try it. It seemed to be beneficial but I think it is something that you have to do more than once to really see the results so I am trying it again right now. (I put it in my hair an hour ago and I will wash it out in the shower in the morning.)

When we came to the fork in the road from wanting to adopt from Russia to wanting to adopt from Ethiopia (which later changed to wanting to adopt from Ghana), one of my first thoughts when considering Ethiopia was 'if I get a little girl I won't know how to do her hair.' This felt so silly and yet I couldn't figure out how I could be a good mom to a child if I couldn't handle this most basic need.

Someone turned me on to a fantastic blog site called Happy Girl Hair. (I am so sorry to the person who gave me the tip of this site because I can't remember who it was.) It is written by a white woman who adopted 2 girls from Ethiopia. Her examples are so very helpful to moms, especially to moms with daughters who have a totally different type of hair than their own. I love this site because she goes step by step through all kinds of hair styles, gives updates as to how those styles held up, and reviews on products.

It turns out that there is a whole world of hair products out there that I never even knew about. And one of the hair products/treatments that she recommends is... you guessed it! Coconut oil! So I am one step closer to being ready to bring home a little girl. We do not have a preference of boys vs girls, but if we do have a daughter I know that I will love reading through Happy Girl Hair in detail.

Oh, and the coconut oil left on your hands from spreading in your hair, its good for your skin too!Josh officially thinks I am crazy for making my own deodorant and putting coconut oil in my hair, but I'm okay with that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be sent to Alysa for review prior to being posted publicly.