Tuesday, November 30, 2010

World HIV/AIDS Day

Did you know that Dec 1st is World HIV/AIDS Day? Yah, I didn't either. This adoption journey has brought me to learn so much more about so many things, one of which is HIV. I realize now that what I knew about it was based on what I learned back in high school. I hate to admit it, but that was a while ago now. I am still learning and I am going to ask you to do so also. If you truly believe that God loves everyone, then you believe that he loves every person who has HIV/AIDS. And for that reason alone you should be willing to learn more, learn about what is afflicting so many of His precious children. This includes those children with HIV waiting to be adopted and perhaps the person standing next to you in line at the grocery store.

If your knowledge about this subject is based on what you learned in high school like me, let me give you a couple facts in order to help peak your interest:
  • Antiretroviral medication for people living with HIV/AIDS now costs about $140/year, down from $10,000 just 10 years ago.
  • A child today with HIV and treatment can expect to live a normal life expectancy.

How can you learn more? Easy! Watch a video, get answers to FAQs, or read a blog about a real family (you can read about HIV specifically if you "read by subject" on the right hand side or you can just enjoy reading all of her posts about their normal life with normal kids, one just happens to have HIV). These are just 3 resources that I have found helpful but if you are really interested, there are many more out there. I hope you will join me in learning more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be sent to Alysa for review prior to being posted publicly.